#SocEnt, action plan, clothes, enterprise, entrepreneur, Environment, ethical, ethical shopping, fair trade, Fashion, food, gifts, Globe and Mail, goods, guide, holidays, local, maisntream, online, poverty, presents, season, Shopanthropic, shopper, shopping, shup, Social Enterprise, social entrepreneur, Social Entrepreneurship, stores, sustainable, website
As the holiday shopping season comes up, we at Shopanthropic wanted to provide you with The Ethical Shopper’s Action Plan:
- Learn: research why it is important to shop ethically and why many products are unsustainable or not fair trade
- Find: Find local stores and online companies that offer ethically-made or ethically-sourced products – from food to clothes to home goods. A great place to look is our collection at http://www.shopanthropic.com
- Discover: What makes them ethical – are they made with eco-friendly products, with clean technology or under fair trade practices? Does the retailer have proof of the sourcing of the products? What are the stories behind the artisans that produce these goods or the communities where these practice originate from? Purchase ethical-products that tie into the causes that you value (the environment, poverty, etc.)
- Consider: What is your price point? While ethically-made products are often times more expensive to produce then mainstream consumer goods – ethical retailers address these high prices in different ways. Some retailers charge higher prices while some, such as Shopanthropic, cut their own margins to provide prices that are competitive with the main stream market
- Pay attention: Ethical-retailers, like mainstream retailers, offer great deals and discounts to customers (especially around the holidays)
- Purchase often: Make sustainable purchasing a regular part of your consumer diet! Purchase ethical, purchase often, and share with your loved-ones and friends!
This action plan was inspired by an in-depth series in The Globe and Mail about the state of charitable giving. To see their donation action plan, visit: http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/01335/web_lf-givedonate-_1335629a.jpg.